Tuesday 3 July 2007

Camping Food


We have had several weekend camping trips this summer, and I've been trying to develop a menu that has interesting and tasty food, but is easy to prepare and cook. The current breakfast staple is a variation on bacon and eggs - 2 eggs stirred with a fork and cooked in a silicone egg ring, a few slices of bacon, and HP sauce, all on a bread roll. Only one frypan needed, and not too many dishes to wash. Lunch time usually comes in the middle of a hike, so it's sandwiches and dried fruit bars. Dinner present the biggest challenge! Last weekend we enjoyed chicken and vegetable kebabs with potatoes roasted on the fire. A little time consuming (especially as I assembled the skewers in situ), and next time there will be separate chicken and vegetable skewers so that the chicken cooks evenly. Another favourite is hamburgers, with patties made and frozen at home. The new star from the weekend is chilli, left over from a meal during the week. It freezes well, and doubles as an ice brick in the cooler. To serve, just heat up and add a crusty bread roll.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool being able to "travel" with chicken... Sounds like I need silicone egg rings in my life... How's the coffee going while you're away? Kath :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silicone egg rings are great, although I still haven't perfected my flipping technique! Easy clean up though.
    Coffee....Phil and Sebastian make a mean latte, but they're at the Farmer's Market, so not an everyday treat. At $4 for a regular size, it's a good thing they're not too close. I ended up buying a good grinder, and I just grind fresh beans in the morning for my plunger at work. And there is always Timmy's in times of desperation - Tim Horton's is an iconic Canadian coffee and donut chain. The coffee isn't that great, but it's better than Starbucks and much cheaper.
    How is life in Gloucester?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually meant camp coffee... I can post you over my slightly used tupperware filtery thing if you're desperate in the forest (for coffee, that is). Kath :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I get it .... there are several towns in the park, so we just go to one of them for coffee. I tried taking the plunger from home, but cleaning is too much hassle.

    ReplyDelete